Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Ken Turner Blog Series: Influences and Inspirations Blog Entry #10 - DR. SUESS (1904 - 1991)


"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird,
and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love" - Dr. Suess


Theodor Seuss Geisel was a children's book poet and cartoonist who wrote under the name Dr. Suess.  He published 46 children's books often involving imaginative characters and rhyme.  His most popular books were The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who! and How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Some other facts on Dr. Suess:


 Dr Seuss: Rhymes and Reasons (2003 documentary) Part 1 of 9:
(you can find the rest of the parts on the documentary on YouTube)



Then our mother came in
And she said to us two,
“Did you have any fun?
Tell me. What did you do?”

And Sally and I did not
know what to say.
Should we tell her
The things that went on
there that day?

Well... what would YOU do
If your mother asked you?

Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have
to know how.

 - The Cat in the Hat



Oh me! Oh my!
Oh me! Oh my!

What a lot of funny things go by.
 - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish


The Grinch hated Christmas!
The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why.
No one quite knows the reason.
 “Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe Christmas… perhaps…
means a little bit more!”
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas



 "Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life’s realities." - Dr. Suess


"Think and wonder, wonder and think." - Dr. Suess

 "I start drawing, and eventually the characters involve themselves in a situation. Then in the end, I go back and try to cut out most of the preachments." - Dr. Suess



"Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." - Dr. Suess


"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go." - Dr. Suess


Next time on the Influences and Inspirations :  He nicknamed himself "A Defrocked Ghoul"!


Cheers

Ken

No comments: